Sunday, December 13, 2009

Afghanistanimation And American Exceptionalism

Super Troopers is a great movie, isn't it? Unfortunately, we don't have time to talk about Car Ramrod and chugging maple syrup, because, as usual, we're like four moves away from world war 3. So, I should talk about how the President just decided to send another 30,000 troops to Afghanistan. I should talk about this because it's important, but also because it gives me the opportunity to do something I love doing. I get to completely disagree with both sides of an argument. There was a lot of reaction to President's decision, and I think almost all of it was pretty stupid.

First, you have your conservatives. They started by spending two or three months whining about how the President was taking too long to act. In Sean Hannity's world, you look for excuses to send troops to other countries (especially countries with brown people in them). When you get an excuse, you don't sit around and talk about it. Talking is weak, just like reading and thinking. Then, the announcement came, and they kept complaining. They complained that we're only sending 30,000 troops when General McChrystal asked for 40,000. They complained that we're giving it 18 months before we start bringing troops back home, instead of just saying we're staying until whenever we decide the job is done. They complained that the President's speech wasn't emotional enough, and that he didn't talk about winning enough.

First of all, shut up! You got what you wanted, just stop talking for a little while. There's still plenty to complain about with health care and environmentalism and other scary liberal things. Second, we have to leave sometime. You can't call this operation a success until the United States can leave Afghanistan without it immediately spiraling into chaos. Finally, the speech. I know Dick Cheney's idea of foreign policy is whipping his cock out and waving it at other countries while challenging them to some kind of duel (now that's what I call a metaphor! Also, did I just make you picture Dick Cheney whipping his penis out and waving it around? Your welcome), but in the real world, sending troops into battle isn't exciting or fun or something to get really happy about. I'm glad the President sounded a little somber and even conflicted, it tells me he hasn't forgotten how to be a person yet.

Then, you have your liberals. I think I actually saw Keith Olbermann cry after the announcement (OK, I'm making that up, actually, I'm boycotting Keith until January because I think he talked about Tiger Woods too much and I think he knows better). Liberals would like the war to be over now. Great idea! Hey, speaking of great ideas, I had drinks with a friend Friday night, someone I'm really very fond of, she's the best. I'd like to get her a unicorn for Christmas, I think she'd really like it, it's possible they grant wishes, and I think they do a lot of work with rainbows....aaaaaaand, back to reality! You can't just overthrow a country's government and then leave when it gets messy. Failing to help rebuild Afghanistan after the cold war is how we got here in the first place. I understand we have to leave them on their own eventually, if it becomes clear that it just isn't going to happen there, but I think the President should probably at least, ya know, try first.

I've heard a lot of people lately, on TV and in real life, ask why this is America's job. You could say it's our job because it was our idea to invade in the first place. So the real question is, why was invading in the first place our job? This brings us to American exceptionalism. It seems some people, like the previously mentioned Mr. Cheney, think American exceptionalism means that we're somehow inherently better than other countries. That our values are superior, that we don't have to play by everyone else's rules. That our nuclear weapons are totally cool, but everyone else's are crazy and dangerous. That our god is better than their god. That it's not torture when we do it. These people are idiots.

I do, however, agree that America is an exceptionally good place to live. That's why I always find campaign debates about illegal immigration to be so silly. If we built a 50 foot wall between us and Mexico and covered it in electrified barbed wire, people would still find a way in. Because the crappiest life in America is still better than whatever they're currently doing in Mexico. That's American exceptionalism, it's an awesome place to be. And that's the answer. Why is this all America's job? It's the price we pay for being free, wealthy, healthy and secure all at the same time.

And what do I think about what the President is doing? I think this is why we should vote for the smartest guy and not the most likable guy (we lucked out this time, the smartest guy turned out to be the most likable guy, it won't be so easy next time). I think this is one of those times when being the President is the hardest job in the world. I think this is one of those times when the President earns all the cool perks that go with the job. Inheriting a war is a crappy deal for a President, and two wars are double crappy. The power of the Presidency rests in the office, not in the man who occupies that office. A President has a responsibility to, um, responsibly follow-up on whatever the last guy was doing, even when he doesn't like it. It doesn't mean you can't change course, but you can't change course in a destructive, ya know, catastrophic way.

Truthfully, I don't care what I think, and neither should anyone else, because I've never been to Afghanistan and I have no idea what I'm talking about. Sometimes people forget how our government is designed. The people we elect aren't charged with doing whatever we say. They're charged with doing what they think is best for their district, state and country. If we disagree with their judgment, we get to vote against them next time. I hope the President doesn't listen to polls and opinion journalists on this issue. I hope he listens to his military advisers, and no one else.

What about other politicians? Congress has become incredibly whiny and increasingly hysterical, and I don't really care what they think either. There used to be a saying in Washington, that politics stopped at the water's edge. Not anymore. So, as long as Congress continues to base their opinions on Afghanistan (and Iraq, for that matter) on what they think will get them the most votes, I will continue to call them stupid and say I don't care what they think.

I've decided to shut my brain off on this issue and get behind the President, at least for now. I say we give him some time to try and get this done without having to listen to us bitching about it. Why? Because it's a terrifying world out there, and everyone has guns, or missiles or plutonium, and he's doing the best he can.

2 comments:

  1. I amuses me when I hear Americans judge illegal immigrants harshly for coming into our country. Sure, I think we need to keep illegals out, but the problem is with the system and not the people trying to break in.

    Whenever I hear someone critcize an illegal immigrant, and claim that if they were in a Mexican's shoes that they'd "follow the rules" to get into the U.S., I pose this question:

    Imagine if the standard of living in Canada was 100x better than the U.S., as life in the U.S. is exceptionally good compared to Mexico now. Wouldn't you break every rule you could to get into Canada, and create a better life for your family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit I hate typos!! IT amuses me.

    ReplyDelete