Wednesday, March 28, 2012

It's Baseball Time Again! - AL West

I'm told the regular season has already started with Oakland and Seattle in Japan this morning.  Can we all get on the same page and agree that shit doesn't count?  I'm officially disqualifying both teams from playoff contention, which they already did to themselves when they put their rosters together.

Texas Rangers

Good News: Texas can still hit, like, really hit.  And, even though I'm not sold on a return to old form by Joe Nathan, the rest of Texas' bullpen (Adams, Uehara, Ogando) is pretty much awesome.  You don't want any of this, AL West!  You hear me!

Bad News: Texas' starting rotation leaves quite a bit to be desired.  Everyone says Yu Darvish is different, and he's better, and he's more prepared for the big leagues.  That's the same shit they said about all those other Japanese disasters.  I predict some early success followed by a couple of seasons with lots of walks and long games followed by us all forgetting who Yu Darvish was (possibly followed by the Yankees inexplicably signing him to a 3 year, $25 million contract).

Anything else we need to know?: Michael Young hit over .300 last year for the 7th time in his career.  You still can't convince me that there's any huge difference between him and Derek Jeter.  You can't, because there isn't.

Prediction: First place, ALCS...ya know, when I wrote about the Yankees last week, I honestly thought they could win the World Series.  I'm sticking with that, but Texas makes me nervous.  Great line-up, pieces to trade for an ace mid-season (if they can find one).  Yeah, I'm nervous.

Los Angeles Angels (of Los Angeles?)

Good News: You might have heard a thing or two about this Pujols fellow they signed.  He's pretty amazeballs.  They also picked up solid number 2 CJ Wilson to go with Jered Weaver, Dan Haren and Ervin Santana.  Yankee fans know you can't trust a Weaver, but the Angels can still pitch.

Bad News: Pujols' batting average has gone down each year since 2008 when hit .357.  2009 was .327, 2010 was .312, last year was .299.  That's a trend.  The power is still there.  He won't be bad, but I don't think the Angels are getting what they think they're getting.

Anything else we need to know?: I don't know why Mike Trout can't steal one of those corner outfield jobs from Vernon Wells and Torii Hunter (combined age, 69), but it probably has something to do with Trout hitting .220 in 123 at-bats last year.  Whatever, those guys are old and the Angels need what Trout can bring.  I expect to see him by June.

Prediction: Second place, and I'm saying no playoffs.

Seattle Mariners

Good News: I hear Seattle is a very nice city.  Also, Felix Hernandez is good.  Really good.  Seattle also has a lot of young guys, so that'll be fun.  I don't know if they're any good, but it'll be fun.

Bad News: Seriously though, I'm not sure too many of Seattle's young guys are good.  Justin Smoak is 25 and has a .226 career average.  Michael Saunders is a .196 career hitter in 576 at-bats.  I was young once too, it didn't mean I could hit.

Anything else we need to know?: Kudos to the Mariners for jumping on the Jesus Montero train on its way to 350 pounds.  For too long, our professional sports have discriminated against fat, unathletic guys.  No more!

Prediction: Third place, and I'm probably being nice.

Oakland Athletics

Good News: Brandon McCarthy was on the cover of ESPN the magazine last month, and it looks like he'll be in a good mood all year, because his wife is smoking hot.  Also, he may or may not be able to pitch.

Bad News: Look at Oakland's line-up.  Who are these guys?  If you wouldn't recognize your favorite baseball team if you ran into them at the airport, that's probably a bad sign.  The A's will be lucky if people recognize them as a baseball team when they're on the field.

Anything else we need to know?: Yeah.  Moneyball wasn't some genius idea.  The A's just signed a few guys with high on-base percentages while simultaneously developing multiple generations of dominant pitching.  They pitched their way to contention, it's what teams have been doing since like 1870.

Prediction: Last place.  Oakland's like Minnesota, they always seem to get me.  I really think they're going to be awful though.

No comments:

Post a Comment