Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Telemarketer From The NRA

You wouldn't say I have a fun job. I sit in an office, I do work. Sometimes people talk to me, sometimes funny things happen outside my window (like the time the facilities department here got one of their trucks stuck in the mud outside and then got a second truck stuck trying to get the first one out). For the most part, it's pretty boring. Every once in a while though, I get some fun at work, even just a few minutes is appreciated.

Today, I had a few minutes of fun, because I got a call from a telemarketer. Here's how the call went (approximately, I wasn't taking notes, but this is basically how it went):

Telemarketer: I'm glad I finally got in touch with you, I'm calling from the National Rifle Association. Sean, when was the last time you had a chance to get out and go hunting up in that part of Connecticut?
Me: Never (I might have already been laughing at him just a little at this point).
Telemarketer (undeterred by my giggling): Never? That's OK, most NRA members aren't hunters, they're just ordinary Americans concerned about protecting our 2nd amendment rights. Did you know that Attorney General Eric Holder is currently working on a law which would take all handguns and firearms out of the hands of law abiding citizens? This would mean the criminals would be the only ones left with guns.
Me: You're suggesting that the Obama administration has a secret plan to leave criminals as the only people in the country with guns? That sounds like a terrible plan.
Telemarketer (mostly ignoring me): Don't you think it's important to protect our second amendment rights?
Me: The second amendment doesn't have anything to do with personal gun ownership.
Telemarketer: Sure it does, the second amendment is the one that protects your right to keep and bare arms.
Me: I'm not a member of a well-regulated militia.
Telemarketer: Can I sign you up for a five year NRA membership for just $125? Or would you prefer the three year membership for just $85?
Me (laughing at him pretty audibly at this point): What? No.

At that point, the telemarketer hung up on me. I feel like getting a telemarketer to hang up on me is a pretty solid accomplishment. I only have a couple of comments:

First of all, telemarketer for the NRA has to be one of the worst jobs you could have, right? People have really strong opinions about guns, and some of those strong opinions are really negative. I can't imagine the words that guy probably gets called everyday, and based on his staunch adherence to his script, even when I was openly mocking the NRA's beliefs, I'd say it's possible he doesn't even care about gun rights.

Secondly, I've noticed I haven't been writing about politics too much lately, and I think this is why. I'm just tired of the nonsense. Barack Obama's secret plan to take guns away from all the law abiding citizens, leaving only criminals armed. I don't even know where to begin. Democrats aren't any better. MSNBC spent like three days trying to blame the BP oil spill on Dick Cheney.

This just in from the MSNBC news center: "Sometime between tomorrow and 5 billion years from now, the sun's nuclear fuel will run out. Fusion will cease and the sun will balloon to a red giant star before it's final death as a white dwarf. Any life left on Earth will die unless it can find some way to leave. Can we blame this on the Bush administration? You bet your ass we can!"

I'm still really interested in politics and, soon, I'll probably get back to paying close attention and writing about it sometimes. For now, I can't even laugh at Glenn Beck anymore. If you can watch Glenn for a whole hour and not laugh your ass off at least once, you know it's time for a little break.

No comments:

Post a Comment